A Couple of Squid and Wing Beans Recipes
Roasted Honey Squid
(Adapted from Famous Cuisine magazine, issue 43)
1 large squid
2 tbs light soy sauce
1 stalk spring onion
3 slices fresh ginger
2 tbs chilli sauce
50g rock sugar
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbs honey
1 tbs Shaoxing wine
1) Cook the sauce ingredients in a pot over a low heat until the rock sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat.
2) Rinse the squid and pat dry, season with light soy sauce, spring onion, ginger slices and sauce mixture. Marinate for at least 30 minutes.
3) Grill the squid in a pre-heated oven at 200 deg C for 20-25 minutes, until cooked through. Dish out and cut into rings.
4) Cook the remaining marinade sauce over low heat until boiled. Pour the sauce over the squid, serve.
Wing Beans with Sambal Paste
(Adapted from Famous Cuisine magazine, issue 37)
250g wing beans
50g minced pork
5 tbs home make sambal paste**
Salt and sugar, to taste
1) Blanch the wing beans into boiling water until cooked and slightly soften (about 20 seconds), remove and rinse under cool water. Drain well, arrange on a serving plate, keep aside.
2) Heat up 1 tbs of oil to saute the sambal paste and minced pork until aromatic and cooked through. Add in seasoning, toss well. Pour the sambal paste over wing beans, serve.
**Home made sambal paste
100g chopped shallots
60g chopped garlic
60g red chilli
20g dried shrimp paste (belachan)
15g dried chilli
100g dried shrimps
2 tsp salt
1 tbs sugar
1) Deep fried the chopped shallots and chopped garlic until golden brown. Keep aside.
2) Pound the red chillies, dried chillies and dried shrimp paste in a blender.
3) Pound the dried shrimps until fine, then stir-fried with 3 tbp hot oil until fragrant.
4) Heat up 1/2 bowl of cooking oil and stir-fried the pounded chili paste over low heat, add in fried chopped garlic and shallots, keep stirring, and finally add in dried shrimps and seasoning, stir well. Ready to use.