I bought half a pumpkin few days ago, trying to make some mini pumpkin pies with home-made flaky pie crust. At the same time, I knew that I would have leftover, and so I looked around for a recipe that I can use to deplete the remaining pumpkin. In the end, I managed to find a recipe which produced a yummy glutinous rice with pumpkin (picture above), but I have nothing to post for the pumpkin pie instead because the crust is a failure... urgh!
Glutinous Rice with Pumpkin Recipe
(Adapted from YOYOの食色空间)
500g glutinous rice (soak overnight)
3 pcs dried Chinese mushroom (soak until softened, slice)
10 - 15 shallots (peel and slice)
1 pc chicken thigh
200g pumpkin (cut into cubes)
1 tbs Shaoxing wine
1 tbs sesame oil
1/2 tsp cornstarch
Salt & pepper, to taste
1) Marinade the chicken pieces with seasoning at least half an hour before cooking.
2) Fried the sliced shallots until they turn golden brown, set aside.
3) Heat up 2 tablespoons of oil in a wok, add in mushroom and 1/4 tsp of sugar, stir-fry until fragrant.
4) Add in 80% of fried shallots, chicken pieces and glutinous rice, stir-fry until the chicken pieces turn pale (half cooked).
5) Add in chicken stock, make sure that it covers 3/4 of rice mixture, then add in pumpkin pieces.
6) Cover the wok and cook in low heat. Stir the rice mixture occassionally.
7) When the rice is cooked, serve with remaining fried shallots.
**Note: I think this dish tastes better with home-made fried shallots instead of store-bought ones. The latter lacks the crispiness and fragrance that is essential for this dish.
Sunday, 25 November 2007
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.