TWD: Caramel-Peanut-Topped Brownie Cake


I have to admit, I'm not a huge fan of brownie, or any chocolate cake for that matter. I don't mind having a slice of flourless chocolate cake occasionally but it's just not something that I would crave for very often.

So I was not sure whether I should participate in TWD this week. But since hubby likes anything with chocolate, I thought I should let him decide whether he wants to have it as his afternoon snack.

Our conversation went like this, I asked, "Do you like brownie?". He was visibly taken aback, and I knew immediately that he took it as a trick question, just like the infamous one that every man dreads - do you think I look fat in this?

Well, he has every reason to have such a reaction. You see, I used to keep two pet rabbits in Singapore, one of them by the name of, coincidentally, Brownie. Even though he did play with them once in a while, he mentioned a few times he would prefer to have a dog rather than two rabbits that constantly chewed off every telephone line we replaced. As a protective "mother" of my rabbits, I expressed my displeasure and since then, he's been trying not to bad-mouth my bunnies, at least in front of me. :-P

Anyway, he certainly looked relief when I told him that I was referring to the cake, instead of Brownie the rabbit. ;-)

The next day after that conversation, I baked a batch of caramel-peanut-topped brownie cake for my hubby, by using a 6-mold mini bundt cake pan. It was a simple preparation process, with no major hiccups during the making of caramel as well. However, I detected a slight aftertaste in the cake which is usually caused by having excessive baking soda. I hope I don't sound as if I'm nitpicking, since the cake was given rave reviews from the comments I read in TWD, but I wonder if there's anyone out there who has notice the aftertaste? Do you think the amount of baking soda is too much for just 1 cup of flour?

Fortunately the aftertaste was not noticeable when eaten with the caramel. The saltiness of the peanuts pairs wonderfully with the caramel and I couldn't resist stealing a spoonful of the leftover peanuts-caramel every time I go to the kitchen.

If you're a chocolate cake lover and would like to give this recipe a try, check out Tammy's blog, she's the lovely lady who has chosen this recipe for the week.

Comments

Snooky doodle said…
wow the photos are great and the cake looks delicious. You made me crave cake . Unlike you I m a chocoholic. Ha you made me smile when I read the part with the bunnies :)
CB said…
How cute is that? Naming your bunny Brownie. I love my bunnies but I think my husband is like yours. He's a dog person. What do they know?? To be honest I don't notice an aftertaste but it's probably b/c I drowned my slice in caramel! LOL
Clara @ iheartfood4thought
aileen ♥ motu said…
hihi, thanks for stopping by mine... everything looks so yummy in yours... makes me really hungry!
Anonymous said…
I am a choc lover and this definitely makes me smile. =)

Guys doesn't seem to like small animals? Mine can't be bothered with my hamsters either. He says they're too small to be handled. Bah.
Flourchild said…
Your pictures are lovely. Keep baking!!
~Kimberly said…
Those are too cute! The Brownie story was funny!
Engineer Baker said…
Caramel hides all sins, right :) Love the story of your bunnies, and the minis look delicious.
Nikki57 said…
Your brownie cakes look gorgeous! I love the pictures.
Anonymous said…
This looks great! I love the mini Bundt pan and your pictures are beautiful!
Tammy said…
how can you not love chocolate? :0) thanks for making my pick!!
they look great as baby bundts! i didn't notice the aftertaste in this, but i do know what you are talking about.
Marthe said…
Your mini bundts look great, I also made mini bundts! I loved the storie about the rabbits!
Amanda said…
Wow this looks gorgeous in a bundt! I ended up making mine without the nuts as I have two guys here who can't have them, but I am sure it was fabulous with them too :) Yum!
kimberly salem said…
the mini-bundts look adorable! great idea and gorgeous photo!
Edith said…
I definitely wouldn't mind to have a piece. I am a chocolate lover!!! hint hint hint
Jules Someone said…
Those look amazing! I never remember to use my mini bundt pan. I'm going to have to take it out again.
Gretchen Noelle said…
Gracious your little cakes are over the top cuter than cute! Lovely job!!
Those are so cute and they look delicious!

I think you may be right about the baking soda. It may also account for why the cake tends to fall in the center -- that can be due to too much leavening. Maybe this recipe needs some tinkering. The topping was great, though!
Shari said…
That's the most perfect caramel-topped brownie cake I've seen yet!! Gorgeous!
imamum!!?? said…
Yummy!! perfect picture! The syrup sliding down at all the right path!

ps: yes i saw the purple range at gucci. Purple is so hot tis season. It's all over at LV! Gucci has lesser range thou. I tink Italy range will be v nice!
bigFATcook said…
Made this. Broken 2 teeth on this. But it was worth it... IT IS ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS!!!!

Greets from BFC!!!
A girl said…
Hi Grace! May I check where you bought your mini bundt mold from? Having a hard time finding it in Singapore.. Already scoured Holland V :(
Piggy said…
A girl - Thanks for dropping by! I got the pan from CK Tang years ago, but I'm not sure if they still have it though.