Black Fungus and Celery Salad
As the weather gets hotter, I find myself shunning away from "hot" dishes like soups or stews. Cold dishes appear to be more appetising to me and I've been preparing Chinese-style salads (涼拌菜) or cold noodles more frequently these days. I will share more cold dishes recipes in the next few weeks, but in the mean time, here's a recipe of black fungus and celery salad.
Black Fungus and Celery Salad Recipe
3-4 stalks of celery
3-4 large pieces of fresh black fungus (If you are using dried fungus, soak them in warm water until soften)
5cm knob young ginger
1 tsp white sesame, toasted
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 tbs light soy sauce
2 tbs dark vinegar 烏醋
1/2 tsp sugar
2-3 drops sesame oil
Note: The amount required for seasonings is just an estimation, feel free to adjust to your taste
1) Peel and then cut young ginger into thin strips, set aside.
2) Rinse and cut celery into strips of 4cm long. Cut fungus into bite-size pieces.
3) Put a pot of water to boil. Cook celery for 2-3 minutes. Dish out and put into a bowl of iced water.
4) Boil fungus for 3-4 minutes, or until cooked. Dish out and leave to cool.
5) Mix all ingredients for seasonings in a small bowl.
6) Put celery, fungus, ginger and garlic in a medium bowl, and then toss the mixture with seasonings until well combined.
7) Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Sprinkle sesame on the mixture, serve.