Earl Grey Pound Cake


I've been baking quite a bit recently and I'm glad that I do not have to finish all the baked goods by myself as I have my classmates to share the calories with! I brought an earl grey pound cake to class before the New Year and I've been wanting to share the recipe here but I've been procrastinating until now. Well, better late than never, right? ;-)

Earl Grey Pound Cake Recipe
Recipe taken from はじめてさんのお菓子作り


Ingredients:
130g cake flour
1/3 teaspoon baking powder
7g earl grey tea leaves, crushed
120g unsalted butter, at room temperature
100g caster sugar
2 eggs, separated
2 tablespoons milk

Method:
1) Preheat oven to 170 deg C. Lightly grease and line a 18X8X6.5-cm cake pan with baking paper.
2) Sift flour, baking powder and tea leaves into a bowl. Set aside.
3) Using an electric mixer, mix butter and 50g of sugar in a medium bowl until light and fluffy.
4) Beat in egg yolks one at a time, follow by milk. Beat well with each addition.
5) Using a rubber spatula, fold in flour mixture (from Step 2) until well combined.
6) In a separate bowl, beat egg white until soft peak forms. With the mixer running, add the remaining 50g of sugar in a slow stream and continue to beat until the egg whites are glossy and form firm peaks.
7) With a light hand, fold 1/3 of egg white into butter mixture until just combined.
8) Repeat step (6) with the remaining egg white.
9) Scrape the batter into cake pan. Bake in the pre-heated oven for 35-40 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the center of the cake turns out clean. Let the cake cools on wire rack.

Comments

carlotta said…
Love the picture and love the cake
Marvelous! Earl grey is has such a wonderful flavor.

Cheers,

Rosa
Edith said…
Lucky classmates of yours.
Michelle Chin said…
this looks a little like banana bread. must be really moist!!
dimsumdolly said…
我要当你的同学. [呵呵]

Lovely food styling by the way!
Elin said…
Piggy...nice presentation. I have never tried using earl grey tea leaves in cake. I guess it must have given out a nice fragrant. I must try this out one day. Love the crushed tea leaves evenly spread out in your cake. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I always come here to leech recipes off your blog...especially japanese cake recipes :p coz I can't read a word of japanese or you can imagine what I will do to my collection of cookbooks. Thanks :)
daphne said…
You are going to be so popular with your classmates!! This looks fab- so light yet at the same time, with the unique of the tealeaves!
Neilesh Patel said…
I came across your blog today and enjoyed it. Is it ok if we re-post some of your entries in our newsletter? I just think a lot of the food and beverage people who visit our community would like reading some of your posts, even though they are mainly industry professionals, they are still ‘foodies’. Let me know J



Neilesh
mycookinghut said…
Love that you used earl grey tea! Must be smelling wonderful!
Mel said…
Hi, I was in the midst of baking this cake and realised that you have missed typing out when to add in the flour and the tea leaves .
I guess it must be after the milk right?
Piggy said…
Mel - Sorry for the confusion and thanks for pointing that out. I've already made amendment to the recipe.