IMBB #17 - Tea
The IMBB has reached the 17th edition and the host this time round is Clement of A La Cuisine!. He has chosen Tea as the theme this month.
I do not have a recipe with tea as ingredient on hand, and so for the past two weeks, I visited a few libraries and finally found this recipe, snowy white balls coated with desiccated coconut, green tea powder and green beans as filling.
The white balls were chewy and I found that the green tea flavour compliments the taste of green beans. The dessicated coconut contributes a "pseudo-crunchy" mouthfeel to the white balls.
2 cups glutonous rice flour
1 cup water
1 cup green beans
2 tsp green tea powder
2-3 tsp icing sugar
1) Soak the green beans for at least 3 hours, or overnight.
2) Cook the green beans in a pot of boiling water until soften.
3) Mix the green beans with icing sugar and green tea powder, set aside.
4) To make the dough, mix glutonous rice flour with water.
5) Knead the dough until it is smooth and no longer sticky. Add more flour or water if necessary (e.g., if the dough is too sticky, add more flour and vice versa.)
6) Divide the dough to 16 portions. Take one piece of small dough and roll it in your palms and form a small ball.
7) Flatten the ball, and put a teaspoon of green bean mixture in the centre of the dough.
8) Seal the dough and roll in the palms to form a small ball again.
9) Repeat Step 6-8 with the rest of the dough.
10) Place the small balls in a pot of boiling water. The balls are cooked when it floats to the surface (about 3 minutes).
11) Coat the balls with dessicated coconuts. Serve.