Braised Char Siew


Char Siew with rice was one of my favorite food when I was a kid, especially my mom's version of char siew. I loved to have it by drizzling lots of char siew sauce on my rice and my mom normally prepared extra sauce to satisfy her greedy daughter. I could finish at least two big bowls of rice soaked in char siew sauce at one go, what a big appetite I had then!

I craved for char siew recently and so I decided to prepare it myself. I followed a Braised Char Siew recipe from a chinese cookbook call Sensational Braised & Stewed (焖卤滋味), which I had a few successful attempts and this is one of them.

I served the braised char siew with instant noodle, topped with mushroom, black fungus and lettuce. As the char siew was quite a large piece, I thought I would have some leftover for me to bring to office the next day... Well, not a chance at all, hubby love it so much that he managed to finish all of it!

Braised Char Siew Recipe

Ingredients:
600g pork belly


Marinade:
2 pieces red fermented bean curd 南乳
2 tbs oyster sauce
2 tbs chopped garlic
2 tbs light soy sauce
4 tbs sugar
1 tsp pepper
1 tbs shaoxing wine


Method:
1) Rinse the pork belly and remove the skin. Cut into large strips. Mix with the marinade. Set it aside for 30 minutes.
2) Heat up 2 tablespoons of oil in a preheated wok, place in marinated pork belly and the marinade, stir-fry for a while.
3) Cover the wok and braise the pork belly over low heat for 20 minutes. Turn the pork belly a few times, and cook until the sauce is thickened. Dish up, leave to cool, cut into slices. Serve.

Comments

FooDcrazEE said…
where's my portion ?

Merry Xmas
Stephanie said…
Oh that looks good! I tried making my own char siew when I was in Europe but it was nothing like the ones we get here in Singapore. So I've never made it again since mine was so pathetic in comparison. But yours looks so good - I'm hungry now.
Oliver Lee said…
great photos! anyway i have been looking around for 焖卤滋味 but i can't find it. Can i ask where did you get your copy from
Piggy said…
Hi Oliver,

Thanks for dropping by.

I got my copy of the book from Popular book shop. Other than Popular, I think you can also try out MPH.