Tree Tomato


This fruit is in abundance in Cameron Highlands. I was told that it is called "爱情果" (loosely translated as Love Fruit) and it's supposed to taste particularly good with cut chillies and soy sauce. Well, correct me if I'm wrong, I think that's a Malaysian way of eating fruits, I've seen people having unripe mango or pineapple that way too. I prefer to eat my fruits without any condiment though.

Using a spoon to scoop out the flesh and seeds, I had my first taste of the fruit. The flesh is lightly sweet, and it's slightly sour towards the center of the fruit, near where the seeds are, I like it!

I had an impression that 爱情果 is a fruit that is grown only in Cameron Highlands. To my surprise, after I've posted a picture of it in Flickr, I found out from the lovely Cooking Diva that it's called Tomate de arbol, or tree tomato in her country. After some research from the internet, I realised that it's a fruit native to South America, not Cameron Highlands, ha!

For those of you who are keen to know more about Tree Tomato, click here and here!

Comments

shaz said…
thanks for sharing!
Anonymous said…
Aha! So it's called Tree Tomato in Singapore, while we Indonesians call it Dutch Eggplant. Interesting, huh?
I found out it's also popular with the name Tamarillo.
Thanks for sharing the info!