TWD: Florida Pie


Did it ever happen to you that nothing goes right during cooking? Well, it happened to me last night. I guess I should not push myself to do it when I didn't feel like cooking, but I still carried on because I've bought all the ingredients for Florida Pie already.

It's disastrous right from the start! I misinterpreted the amount of cookies crumbs needed for the pie base. The recipe mentioned 1 and 3/4 cup, but instead of measuring it with a cup, I calculated the weight instead. So I had too much cookies crumbs and too little butter, and no matter how I mixed it, the mixture was still very dry. I still tried to press the mixture onto the mini tart pans though, and I was hoping that by freezing it before baking, it will turn out alright. But of course, my silly plan did not work, and right after baking, when I tried to touch one of the crusts, it crumbled immediately.

But by then, it was too late to back out because I've already prepared the lime cream. So I've decided to leave the pie crusts as they were and continued with the cooking of shredded coconut and cream. And I made yet another mistake with the amount of coconut. The amount shown in the ingredient list is 1 and 1/4 cup, and the "1/4" cup is actually meant to be used later in the meringue base. But I used it all with the cream, and the mixture turned out a tad too thick even before cooking.

Third mistake happened when I tried to brown the meringue. I have not done this before and I did not know how long it will take to achieve the desired result. So I was washing up the utensils after I put the pies in the oven, and just within a few minutes, I could smell that something's burning! I immediately took the pies out from the oven but the meringue on some of the pies were slightly burnt. The pie in the picture above were one of the few pieces that happened to be in the cooler zone of the oven, and lucky for me, at least I still have a picture to show on this post.

I can't comment much about the recipe as my Florida Pie was a failure. All I can say is that the lime cream tastes good, and even though I've put in all the condensed milk called for, the cream was not overly sweet and it tasted just right with the lime juice.

Hopefully, I will be more alert when I try out the recipe for TWD next week and in the mean time, check out the entries from the other bloggers here.

Florida Pie Recipe
(From Dorie Greenspan's Baking: From My Home to Yours)

Ingredients:
1 9-inch graham cracker crust (page 235), fully baked and cooled, or a store-bought crust
1 1/3 cups heavy cream
1 1/2 cups shredded sweetened coconut
4 large eggs, seperated
1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup fresh lime juice (from about 5 regular limes)
1/4 cup of sugar


Method:
1) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Put the pie plate on a baking sheet lined with parchment of a silicone mat.
2) Put the cream and 1 cup of the coconut in a small saucepan and bring it to a boil over medium-low heat, stirring almost constantly. Continue to cook and stir until the cream is reduced by half and the mixture is slightly thickened. Scrape the coconut cream into a bowl and set it aside while you prepare the lime filling.
3) Working with an electric mixer, beat the egg yolks in a large bowl at high speed until thick and pale. Reduce the mixer speed to low and beat in the condensed milk. Still on low, add half of the lime juice. When it is incorporated, add the reaming juice, again mixing until it is blended. Spread the coconut cream in the bottom of the graham cracker crust, and pour over the lime filling.
4) Bake the pie for 12 minutes. Transfer the pie to a cooling rack and cool for 15 minutes, then freeze the pie for at least 1 hour.
5) Put the 4 egg whites and the sugar in a medium heavy-bottomed saucepan and heat over medium-low heat, whisking all the while, until the whites are hot to the touch. Transfer the whites to a stand mixer, fitted with the whisk attachment, or use a hand mixer in a large bowl, and beat the whites at high speed until they reach room temperature and hold firm peaks. Using a rubber spatula, fold the remaining 1/2 cup coconut into the meringue.
6) Spread the meringue over the top of the pie, and run the pie under the broiler until the top of the meringue is golden brown. (Or, if you've got a blowtorch, you can use it to brown the meringue.) Return the pie to the freezer for another 30 minutes or for up to 3 hours before serving.

Comments

Christine said…
My pie came out very tarty. Sorry it was a disaster but your pic is gorgeous!
kimberly salem said…
sorry you had so many problems!! well... your tart still looks beautiful :) i adore your photo!
Heather B said…
I'm sorry you had problems this week! Your picture looks great!
CB said…
Poor thing. Sounds like your baking experience wasn't as fun as usual but pie looks great nonetheless.
Clara @ I♥food4thought
Anonymous said…
Some days it just doesn't go the way it was planned. At least you were able to salvage some and enjoy the cream part.
Anonymous said…
Oh, I hate when that happens, and you're right, it always seems to be when you don't want to be cooking anyway. At least you got one nice tartelette to show for your efforts!
Cheryl said…
I hate days like that. : ( But your picture is beautiful just the same! And I did the same thing with the coconut. Seems like many Dorie recipes call for divided ingredients, but I'm not so good at attention to detail, and end up throwing the whole amount in. It'd be nice if she were a little more specific about it.

I loved this pie, though!
mimi said…
oh no, sorry when i read those things wrong too! but your little tarts came out looking lovely and glad to hear the lime filling still came out tasty!
Bumblebutton said…
Funny how I was admiring your evenly browned meringue and then went on to learn of your troubles. Happy you didn't lose them completely!
Hygeian Stew said…
Sorry you had so much trouble with this recipe. I would never have guessed that from your beautiful picture, looks tasty!
Anonymous said…
The one you salvaged looks beautiful. Doesn't it seem like once something goes wrong in a recipe nothing goes right after that?
Engineer Baker said…
I'm sure it was still tasty, and your salvaged one looks beautiful!
Jayne said…
Oh no! So frustrating!! But your picture is beautiful!
Anonymous said…
mine came out burnt too! Damn broiler!
Natalie said…
Hate those kitchen days! But the pie pictures looks fantastic! :)
Anonymous said…
Nice photo! At least you can continue with the rest of the steps. Once my whipping of cream went wrong, and there's nothing I can do about it. I guess experience plays a part here as well, I didn't know what I could do to salvage mine. :P
oh no--we all have lousy kitchen days like that once in awhile, and it's so frustrating! you still managed to get a great picture...i never would have known you had "issues."
Even though you had some hiccups, your pie looks great!
Truly beautiful. Amazing photo.
Gretchen Noelle said…
Oh no! Well, this one sure does look adorable. Too bad things didn't come out quite as planned, but everyone has those kind of days.
Mari said…
In spite of all your issues, your pie-lette looks delicious! Good job!
Anonymous said…
Sorry you had so many issues, but your little pie looks great!
Julius said…
Your pie looks great; I wouldn't have known you had problems with it.

:)

Julius from Occasional Baker
Melissa said…
Sorry you had a bad baking day, but it looks great!
Anonymous said…
This pie looks fab but bummer about all the others! Hope next week is a better one for you! Hx
Jaime said…
i would not call it a failure! i was surprised at how quickly the meringue browned as well and even though mine was very brown, it still tasted quite good.

your photo and plating are beautiful!
Anonymous said…
hey you could have added more butter to the cookie mixture right, so why didn't you? :)