Braised Chicken with Tofu
I cooked a braised chicken and tofu dish for lunch today, using a boneless chicken drumstick and a block of black bean tofu. The seasoning was added spontaneously, using whatever condiments that I have on hand. But I'm pleasantly surprised at how tasty this dish is, and I thought I should share the recipe in this blog. You can also use normal white tofu and other chicken parts, like wings or chopped chicken pieces, and adjust the condiments accordingly.
Braised Chicken with Tofu Recipe
1 large boneless chicken drumstick (with thigh)
1 block tofu
1 chilli, cut into slices
2-cm knob of ginger, slice thinly
2 stalks spring onion
3 tablespoons light soy sauce
3 tablespoons mirin
1/2 cup rice wine
1/2 cup water
1/2 teaspoon sugar
Salt and pepper, to taste
1) Heat up 1 tablespoon of oil in a wok. Place the chicken drumstick (skin down) and fried until golden brown.
2) Flip the chicken over and fried for about 3 minutes.
3) Push the chicken aside, put in chilli and ginger slices, saute until fragrant.
4) Add soy sauce, follow by mirin, rice wine, water and sugar. Add tofu and spring onion.
5) Cover the wok and cook in medium heat until the chicken is cooked. Add salt (only if the gravy is not salty enough) and pepper. Dish up and serve immediately.