SHF/ IMBB - Cookie-Swap
Jennifer of Domestic Goddess and Alberto of Il forno has made SHF and IMBB a joint event for November. Food bloggers around the world are going to have a Cookie-Swap this weekend... well, it's virtual swapping of cookies recipes, to be exact! I'm sure that I'll have lots of cookies-baking ideas when the round-up is posted by the hosts. ;-)
I've managed to squeeze in some time in the midst of my report writing today to bake a batch of coffee cookies. The recipe is adapted from the The Ultimate Cookie Book. The cookie consists of a gooey chocolate centre sealed with two thin pieces of coffee flavored cookies. It's too sweet for my liking but I still gobbled up quite a number of pieces, well, I can never resist chocolate or anything with chocolate in it! There goes my diet plan...
Coffee Cookies Recipe
150g butter, at room temperature, diced
150g caster sugar
1 egg yolk
250g plain flour
2 tbsp instant coffee, dissolved in 1.5 tbsp of milk
90g plain (semisweet) chocolate, coarsely chopped
For the topping:
50g plain (semisweet) chocolate
1) Preheat the oven to 190 C. Line two baking sheets with baking parchment.
2) Cream the butter and sugar together until light and creamy. Beat in the egg yolk and dissolved coffee.
3) Sift over the flour and stir in to make a firm yet soft dough.
4) Roll out the dough on baking parchment. Using a 5cm/ 2in round cookie cutter, stamp out 18 rounds and place them on baking sheets.
5) Sprinkle the chopped chocolate in the centre of each cookie.
6) Stamp out another 18 "lids". Carefully lay the lids over the cookie bases and press the edges well together to seal.
7) Bake for about 10 minutes until the cookies have spread a little and are just firm to a light touch. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
8) For the topping, melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of hot water. Spoon a small amount of the melted chocolate onto the cookie. Repeat with the remaining cookies.
Do check out both hosts' round-up this week!