Flourless Chocolate Cake


I was given a block of delicious Amedei chocolate by my sis-in-law, G a few weeks ago. I wanted to make good use of the chocolate and so I was looking for a recipe that is a little unusual, something that I've not tried before. Then I came across a flourless chocolate cake recipe from Lisa Yockelson's Chocolate Chocolate... Maybe it's not so "unusual" to other people, but it's rather intriguing to me... a cake without flour? Well, what better way to find out than baking one myself?

As usual, I took a few photos of the cake after it was out of the oven and sufficiently cooled down. Then I took a bite. I was completely blown away! The texture was light and moist, very chocolaty and not too sweet. This is definitely the recipe that I will go back again and again!

Flourless Chocolate Cake Recipe

Ingredients:
2/3 cups superfine sugar
1 tbsp unsweetened alkalized cocoa powder
Pinch of salt
9 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted and cooled
8 tbsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled
5 eggs, separated
2.5 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1 tbsp unsweetened alkalized cocoa powder and icing sugar, for sifting on top of the baked cake (optional)


Method:
1) Preheat the oven to 350F. Lightly butter a 9-in sprinform pan.
2) Sift cocoa powder, superfine sugar and salt. Leave aside.
3) Whisk the melted chocolate and butter in a bowl until smooth.
4) In a large bowl, whisk the egg yolks and cocoa powder mixture until smooth, add in the melted chocolate-butter mixture.
5) Whisk the egg white in a separate bowl, add in cream of tartar, until soft peak formed.
6) Fold egg white into chocolate mixture.
7) Spoon the batter into the prepared pan.
8) Bake in the preheated oven for 35 to 40 mins.
9) Cool the cake in a rack and sift the cocoa powder and icing sugar on the cake. Serve.

Comments

Anonymous said…
wow..so delicious looking! Wish to have a bite of it now. Will you be posting the recipe? Thanks.
Anonymous said…
Hi Piggy!! I would really love the recipe, I do hope you post it!
Piggy said…
Hi Sharon & Meena,

Thanks! I've posted the recipe, do give it a try!

Hi Andrea,

Thanks for dropping by! The Amedei chocolate was actually from my sis-in-law's Italian bf who's in food service industry. Unfortunately, I was told that currently it's only supplied to restaurants.
boo_licious said…
I know the feeling abt flourless choc cakes as I love them eversince I made one for the last SHF. Must try your recipe. I also have another one from Tetsuyas which looks complicated.
shaz said…
HI piggy. That looks fantastic. Chocolate always hits a soft spot for me. shaz, a fellow food blogger from singapore.
ps. picture was well taken!
Anonymous said…
gee... i've never been a fan of flourless cakes aft i tried nigella's flourless cake recipe, but this looks so good, i'll have to try it out soon! thanks for the recipe!
Anonymous said…
hi piggy,i have a question.

Is a flourless cake more fattening than the normal ones? coz i see lots of butter, choc and choc powder used here..

from,
a very health-conscious reader
Piggy said…
Hi Boo,

I'm not aware of a more complicated recipe, I must check it out one day!

Hi Shaz and Ruth,

Thanks for your compliments!

Hi Anon,

Thanks for dropping by!

I'm not a nutritionist and so I have no idea if the flourless cake is more fatterning than normal cake or not. But I believe in eating in moderation, as long as the daily food intake is kept to an acceptable level... it should do no harm to our health, I guess!
Anonymous said…
Absolutely wonderful!!!! I was very pleased with this cake. My husband and children loved it. I used carob instead of chocolate I never missed the chocolate. Now all I need is a flourless bread recipie and I'm set. Thanks a million.