I have to admit that I'm not a big fan of savory Chinese style kuih. I always walk pass stalls selling such kuih as if they are non-existent, and when my mom cooked the kuih, I would come up with excuses, so that I do not have to eat it. I can't even remember when was the last time I had soon kueh (picture here) or yam cake, well, probably years ago. So when I saw the recipe of radish cake in a cookbook since few months back, I was hesitant to try it out, even though the picture looks darn attractive.
Since I'll be having dinner alone today, I wanted to prepare something simple and so I thought this is the time to give the recipe a try. I have to say that I quite like the radish cake, it is smooth and soft, and full of favour. I'm now thinking of making it again some time soon, and for the next attempt, I will cut the cake into slices and pan-fry it!
Radish Cake in Bowl Recipe (萝卜糕)
1 chinese sausage (chopped coarsely)
2 Chinese dried mushroom (soaked and diced)
30g dried shrimps
1 dried scallop (soaked and tear to shreds)
90g rice flour
1.5 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
pepper, to taste
30g dried shrimps (chopped)
1 stalk spring onion (chopped)
1 red chilli (chopped)
1) To make topping, saute the dried shrimps with 2 tbs of oil, dish it up and ready to use.
2) Peel the radish and cut into shreds. Place shredded radish with 200ml of water in a pot, bring to boil. Reduce to low heat and cook for another 10 minutes.
3) Mix all ingredients for batter, sieve and set aside.
4) Heat up 2 tablespoons of oil in a wok, stir fry chinese sausage, mushroom, dried shrimps and dried scallop until aromatic. Add in cooked radish and seasoning, toss well.
5) Add in batter mixture, stirring well over medium heat until the batter is thickened.
6) Spoon the mixture into small bowls. Steam for 25 minutes.
7) Dish out, leave to cool, serve with topping and sprinkle with chopped spring onions and red chillies.
Tuesday, 30 October 2007
Posted by Piggy | Category: Chinese
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.