I have to skip TWD this week because two of the most essential ingredients for tiramisu cake - mascarpone and liquor are not available in SA. So I baked a batch of mixed-nuts meringue cookies instead. The cookies are crunchy and chock full of nutty goodness, yum!
Mixed-Nuts Meringue Cookies Recipe
Recipe adapted from The Sweet Trick
120g egg whites
170g caster sugar
50g self-raising flour
100g almond meal
1) Pre-heat oven to 180 deg C. Roast hazelnuts, almonds and pecans in the pre-heated oven for 12-15 minutes. Let the nuts cool to room temperature, then chop into small pieces, set aside.
2) Turn the oven temperature to 160 deg C.
3) Using an electric mixer with a whisk attachment, beat egg whites in a large bowl until opaque and foamy. With the mixer still running, start to add 120g of caster sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time. Continue to beat the egg white until it is glossy and when the whisk is lifted, stiff peak should form.
4) Sift flour, almond meal and the remaining 50g of caster sugar over the egg whites. Using a wide spatula, fold the mixture quickly, follow by the chopped nuts.
5) Drop spoonfuls of the meringue mixture onto a baking tray. Flatten the meringue using the back of a spoon.
6) Bake the meringue at 160 deg C for 10 minutes. Turn the temperature down to 120 deg C and continue to bake for another 30 minutes.
Tuesday, 5 May 2009
Posted by Piggy | Category: Cookies
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.