Capezzana Tiny Olive Oil Cakes


I baked these capezzana tiny olive oil cakes few months ago and I haven't gotten around to posting it until now. As the name suggests, olive oil is used instead of butter, and the cakes are also flavoured with orange zest. I supposed these tiny cakes are healthier, at least that's what I hope they would be! But one thing is for sure, these cakes are darn tasty, and I'm sure that you won't be able to stop at one!

Capezzana Tiny Olive Oil Cakes Recipe
Recipe from Nancy Silverton's Pastries from the La Brea Bakery


Ingredients:
2 cups and 2 tablespoons plain flour
1.5 cups caster sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
3 eggs
1.5 cup milk
1.5 cup extra-virgin olive oil
3 tbs grated orange zest (abt 2 to 3 oranges)

Method:
1) Preheat the oven to 350 deg F. Grease the molds (See note below).
2) In a large bowl, whisk to combine flour, sugar, baking soda and baking powder.
3) Make a well in the center of the flour mixture, pour eggs, milk and olive oil in it.
4) Using a hand whisk, whisk to combine the liquids and then slowly draw in the dry ingredients. Whisk until you get a smooth batter. If necessary, strain to dissolve any lumps of flour. Stir in the orange zest.
5) Fill the molds to 3/4 full. Bake in preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the cakes are nicely browned and firm to the touch.

Note: The recipe calls for 30 small molds or 2 round 9-inch cake pans, but I used some small tart pans and made about 20 cakes instead. So the number of cakes you can get from a batch of the recipe depends on the size of your molds.

Comments

Anh said…
Lovely cakes! And so cute! I will be making them very soon!
Jennifer said…
Oh these are precious looking!
Very cute and delicious looking! What a pretty shot!

Cheers,

Rosa
mycookinghut said…
I love little cakes! Looks real good!
Meeta K. Wolff said…
olive oil in cakes adds such a grand flavor. these look just perfect!
Stardust said…
I think the great picture serves as one of those fine memories you had in SA? =) It looks really nice...
Julia said…
It's such a great idea to use small tart pans. The little cakes look so elegant and yummy. I really love your styling! :D
Tricia said…
Thanks so much for the recipe. I just made these. They are delicious! I topped mine with Parmesan Flakes and my son loves it!

I used 24 mini-muffin moulds! I was able to make about 52 mini-muffin cakes with your recipe!
They are so cute! I love that touch of class you have given them by striping them with the flour.