Puffed Rice Crackers
I picked up a pack of puffed rice from a baking supplies store few days ago, and wanted to try out puffed rice crackers recipe the next day. But the weather has been gloomy this whole week, and knowing that the lack of natural light will make my photos look awful, I put my plan on hold until this morning. The sun finally came out for a short while and so I quickly went to the kitchen and made the crackers. As the peanuts and sesame were toasted beforehand, all I needed to do was to prepare the caramel, mixed it into the puffed rice and peanuts mixture, and roll it out in a baking tray.
If you can get store bought puffed rice, the recipe is actually very straightforward and easy. The only trick is to work really fast, or else the caramel will harden and it will be difficult to roll out and cut the crackers.
Puffed Rice Crackers Recipe
Recipe from Famous Cuisine's New Year Snacks (應節小食)
300g puffed rice
100g toasted peanuts
50g toasted white sesame
50g malt sugar
1 tablespoon lime juice
1) Grease a 15X15 inch baking tray.
2) To prepare the caramel, put all ingredients in a pot and turn on medium heat. Stir only until the sugar has dissolved. Then let the syrup cooks (without stirring) until it turns golden brown.
3) In the mean time, put puffed rice, peanuts and sesame in a big mixing bowl. When the caramel is ready, turn off heat and pour into the puffed rice mixture.
4) Using a wooden spatula, make a few quick stirs until all ingredients are thoroughly mixed.
5) Transfer the puffed rice mixture into the baking tray immediately and roll it out with a rolling pin.
6) Cut the puffed rice crackers into pieces. Leave to cool and serve.