TWD: White Loaves


Remember that I used to take part in Tuesdays With Dorie, a baking event that takes place every Tuesday (See all my TWD posts here)?

I started out with intention of baking with the wonderful group of TWD bakers till the end but laziness got the better of me and I only managed to stay for close to 3 years. But I'm still glad that I joined TWD as I had tackled 108 out of 300+ recipes from the book, Baking: From My Home to Yours and this is by far the most used cookbook that I own.

Speaking of cookbooks, I have close to 200 of them but less than half of the books are used regularly. The rest of the books are sitting in the shelves collecting dust and I only browse through them occasionally. One good example is Baking with Julia. I got the book back in 2005 but I've not cooked anything from it yet. So when I found out that it will be used to restart another round of TWD, I immediately jump on the bandwagon as I see it as an opportunity to make good use of the book!

Anyway, to kickstart TWD: Baking with Julia, Laurie (founder of TWD) and Jules have chosen white loaves recipe for all TWD bakers to try out. I'm crazy over bread-baking recently, and so I'm more than happy to try out a new bread recipe. I made half a batch and I got a beautiful loaf of bread that comes with a crispy crust and soft center. It is so delicious that my hubby and I polished off the whole loaf of bread in 1 1/2 days!

If you want to give the recipe a try, hop over to Laurie's or Jules's blog. Don't forget to check out the rest of the TWD bakers' versions of white loaves here.

Comments

It looks beautiful!

Cheers,

Rosa
Unknown said…
Wish I could take such amazing pictures!!! Looks delicious!
daphne said…
I got to get that book! I have been admiring all these dishes and bakes... and Dorie's book is such a classic!You sold me on that ;P
tierneymarie said…
200 cookbooks?! I can't imagine it! But your bread looks like it came out perfectly. We ate ours as quickly as you two did! Has white bread always been this good? I don't remember it being this tasty as a kid!
Nichicakes said…
Wow 200! I had this book for awhile too and haven't cracked it open until now.... just like shoes I buy cookbooks and never use them!
Edith said…
Piggy, did you go by weight or by cup? Jules' page is in cups measurement. Also instant yeast the same as dry yeast? Am tempted to try this.
Christy said…
Gorgeous photo! This is a great way to exercise cookbooks, I love them and am finally using them again. Looking forward to more of your posts!
Cher Rockwell said…
Lovely picture!
I only have about half that amount of cookbooks, but I wish I could spend more time in them. This is a perfect way to get to "know" a cookbook.
Looking forward to more TWD!
SO glad to see you back! As always your photo is beautiful! I am glad that we will be baking together again!
Jules Someone said…
Gorgeous bread! And I have just about the same cookbook obsession.
jen said…
How did you make the top of your loaf so gorgeous!!? So pretty!
pinkstripes said…
Your loaf looks gorgeous. I dropped out of TWDv1 too. I'm glad to be baking with you again.
Teresa said…
Wow - 200 cookbooks! I bet it's a lovely collection and I'm impressed that you think of about half of them as well-used. Baking With Julia is destined to become so at my house, too. Love the look of your loaf!
Jenny said…
Jules' recipe seems to be in US measurements so would you be able to offer us your own metric/gram version? Thanks so much; the bread looks heavenly.